Thursday, August 9, 2007

BLT's


Ok, I have been inspired here by two dear friends of ours. The first Brent has been both friend and worship pastor to my husband and I since 2000. His wife Tammy has been one of my best friends and confidant since about the day we met. You can check both of their blogs today to see what actually inspired this as well as my new blog friend Mandy, who has some awesome interaction on Wednesdays!!!! But, they were asked to answer a "meme" about marriage, and I learned that they like to debate.....or have some intense discussions.....SO....what I want to do is....start some...
Fridays will be days that I will pose a question, or questions throughout the day that come to mind, that will help us to dig in God's word and give eachother some wisdom and insight.... I encourage some thinking and research, or if you yourself have something that is puzzeling that you would like some input....you are more than welcome to ask or share. Anyone who has been around these two for longer than 30 seconds, can see they are inseperable, so we will call this time Brent Loves Tammy or BLT's. I suppose we can say it's food for thought???? So we'll begin our BLT's tomorrow...and honestly this just came to me, so I am a bit unprepared..but here are a couple thoughts to get us started....

BLT #1 - How do you think any of our ancestors could think the world was flat after reading Isaiah 40:22?

BLT #2 - God created light in Genesis 1:3 and separated it in verse 4, yet He didn't create the "light" as we know, sun, moon until verse 14....what is the separation of light and dark refering to? (I do have my own understanding on this and would love your input)

Have fun with this, and thanks to Brent & Tam for the inspiration.....Luvs!

5 comments:

Tam said...

Aaahhh! My head hurts!

I am honored! I would like to thank the Blogademy for nominating us for this BLT delight! I will treasure it for always! Unfortunately, Brent could not be by my side for this acceptance (he is on the phone debating with someone) So I will accept this on his behalf as well!

I must go and research your questions now....

I'll be back!

inWorship said...

Yup, we’ve already worked on it. We had to dig in right away. Tam and I did some research together and here is what we came up with. First of all, we are not scholars and only read a certain amount of stuff. So feel free...everyone...to show us our mistakes.

Question #1 - How do you think any of our ancestors could think the world was flat after reading Isaiah 40:22?

Here’s what we came up with. If you look at the original Hebrew (ol chug ha-aretz), the statement made in Isaiah is not speaking to the shape of the earth, but instead to the expanse of the heavens. In other words, He is speaking of encircling something. Also, the word for Earth here (ERETZ) could also translate land, so it could be speaking to an area of land versus the entire planet. So the verse basically says God makes his home by encircling the earth. That’s pretty cool.

Another note, most people believe that people at the time of Columbus new the world was round and that they never spoke to the world being flat, but instead only spoke to knowing the world only from Europe to the other side of the Atlantic (which they actually thought would be Asia). To believe the people in Columbus day thought the world to be flat is considered mis-information.


Question #2 - God created light in Genesis 1:3 and separated it in verse 4, yet He didn't create the "light" as we know, sun, moon until verse 14....what is the separation of light and dark referring to?

We had read some pretty cool scientific stuff regarding this matter. Most believe the light to be the creation of matter or putting the creation process into motion. Science actually considers accelerated particles as light. Tammy then found a great site http://www.asa3.org it is a site for a Christian perspective to science by actual scientists. Very cool. On this site they discuss Genesis 1 and their conclusion is that creation is placed into 2 categories, Structuring and Filling. So on day 1 God created the structure of light and dark and on day 4 He filled it with the Sun, Moon and Stars. Day 2 He created the structure of the sky and the waters of the earth and on day 5 He created Birds and Fish to go in it. On day 3 He created the land and waterways and on day 6 He created animals and humans. Pretty cool when you look at it this way. One other site I read through saw Genesis 1:3&4 as a profound declaration of the spiritual difference between light(life) and dark(death). They can’t co-exist, there can never be both together, there is always just one or the other.

So there you go. Let’s start this discussion!

Darla said...

Congrats from the blog academy! haha I love BLT's! But need to go dig and see if I come up with anything different...

Gods Gal said...

I have to apologize for my lack of blog ethic by not responding to my BLT's last week. I've decided to take weekends off to just spend time with hubby and life beyond the computer screen! LOL This can really draw you in!!!!! Anyway, I do have answers and will be posting later today.....right now it's off to work!!! Darla, what happened girl I need your opinion!!!! Luvs, D

inWorship said...

It's about time!

:)