Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Is our faith an illusion?




If you guys have never seen the works of Julian Beever, you need to go here.

I have a few samples of his art here. These are some of his sidewalk drawing that he has done in chalk....yes they are flat on the ground...amazing!


Don't worry about my title, I'm not losing it, it stems from some interesting conversation that some of us have had over at FC.

I was asked during one discussion about my beliefs in the supernatural....


It's been interesting to say the least, but we know our God is a living God, and He longs to get involved in people's lives. For some reason, God has chosen to use us, His people, to be the agents through whom He will reach out and touch the world. Everything has been provided for us to overcome satanic oppression and enjoy God's favor- such as provision, healing, relationships...

The world, obviously is crying out for something more. They are seeking satisfaction for their souls through many things, without understanding that only God can give it. They need the Lord, but instead deny Him, but don't see Him as real.


Paul said his message and preaching were not with the persuasive words of human wisdom, but with the demonstration of the Spirit and power, that our faith may not rest in the wisdom of men but the power of God..(I Corint. 2:1-4) Instead I find that people (I'm not omitting myself here) rest their faith in the wisdom of the pastor or teachers and rarely experience the power of God promised by the Scripture. I believe this to be part of the problem with the people on FC, as they are resting on and intellectual approach to faith. Peter, Paul and the early apostles demonstrated the power and authority of the Lord rather than try to provide people with philosophy, which makes sense to me when the root of someones problem is spiritual to begin with, not intelligence. For me to represent the Lord to the people on FC I have to witness to them in the supernatural, as Jesus spoke in John 14:12 - "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to my Father." I truly want my witness to be effective for these people.... not just another illusion, there is plenty of that in today's society.





9 comments:

Tam said...

I THINK ONE OF THE PROBLEMS FOR US (OH MY EVERYTHING IS IN CAPS, SORRY!) IS THAT THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT FALL INTO THE "BAD CHRISTIAN" CATEGORY - IS THAT WE ARE AFRAID TO BE AUTHENTIC BECAUSE THE BAD ONES WHO ARE ATTEMPTING THIS ARE FAILING AND LOOKING LIKE TARDS AND GIVING THE REST OF US A BAD NAME. IS THIS OFF SUBJECT???

TO NOT BE AN ILLUSION - IS TO BE REAL. AREN'T WE LEARNING THAT IN A BIG WAY OVER AT FC? I LOVE THIS SPIRITUAL STRETCHING, THE MIND BENDING, THE CONVICTION, THE RAWNESS OF IT ALL!

I'M OFF TOPIC AND IN CAPS - I'M DISTURBING MYSELF. IT'S LATE...GOOD-NITE!

Little Steps Of Faith said...

I totally agree, Tam.

I love your encouraging heart Deb:-)

It's cool, because we never would have realized we are little disciples teaching each other more about God truth's, its very cool:)

Be Blessed:)

Angie

Anonymous said...

GG, those optical illusions are indeed amazing. They are fine examples of how our brains are constructed to make sense of the world around us. We interpret the evidence of our senses to enable us to cope with the world. If we didn't then everytime we saw a box with wheels we would have to work out that it was a car. This same ability to short cut visual clues to derive facts allows our brains to be fooled into seeing things that are not there.

Once again I fail to see the supernatural in illusion. It is merely an evolved trait with an interesting side effect.

We are in agreement that there is too much illusion in society, just not how to tackle it.

Anonymous said...

Tammers....I'll take ya anytime caps and all! AND I love your heart, the last thing I want to be is a tard!

LSOF:I know, it's crazy, I feel like I've known you for a long time! I go to your site and it just refreshes me! Love ya!

Hey Hov:..Thanks for stopping by. I really do understand what you're saying, but what if there is visual with the supernatural. Is it still a mute point? I take it you have never seen a million dollars all in one room, yet I know you believe such a thing exists, what's the difference? Man, if could put into words why I believe, you know I would share it with you....it's just imbeded so deep in me I can't explain it. You da coolest!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a $1m but I have seen $1 so I know that it is possible for more to exist. I've never experienced anything supernatural so I don't have that frame of reference to suggest the existence of multiple supernatural events\entities.

I know that you're trying to explain as best you can and I do appreciate the effort. It is more than many other Christians that I have debated with have done.

Darla said...

Hey Chic, tried to get on your site the last couple of days, and just couldn't..bummin!

I am so with you, and I am happy to see you Hover, his blog is very cool, and I am suprised that my daughter has used the name Magnificent Frog!

I will catch up this weekend...love ya, Princess to princess

Anonymous said...

Princess Darla!!!! Thanks for stopping by sweetness! I know your busy...love you bunches!

Hover: I keep trying because I generally care. But your right, it's kind of like trying to explain color to someone who's been blind their whole life....It's there, real, but almost impossible to explain to them. Have a super weekend!

Kimberly McKay said...

This is a great blog. I think we're all different walks in faith as Christians. There is no such thing as a good Christian or bad Christian. We're just humans, who strive to live and love as God and His son would want us too.
Check out my friday challenge to all Christians: http://blessed1.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by wornout..LOL sounds funny ;) But I totally understand!!!! I agree and loved your input! Lord's blessings to ya! I'm on my way to your blog now.........