Sunday, September 2, 2007

I worship You oh God....


At the cross I bow my knee, where Your blood was shed for me, there's no greater love than this, You have overcome the grave, Your glory fills the highest place, what can separate me now.....

There is just something that has been in my mind and heart for days now, I'm really asking for input. Why corporately do hold back when we worship? I am really reaching a point in my walk that if I am in church, and in the presence of God, I don't want to have to care what people are thinking if I want to kneel, clap, raise may hands etc. before the Lord. I really don't mean for that to sound harsh...but I've been looking up scripture lately, and here is what I'm finding.

Standing-They will stand in awe of the God of Israel...Isaiah 29:23

Singing - I will be glad and exalt in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:2

Shouting: My lips will shout for joy when I sing praises to You; and my soul, which You have redeemed Psalm 71:23

Sitting - Then David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, "Who am I, O Lord God... 2Samuel 7:18

Clapping - O clap your hands, all peoples; shout to God with the voice of joy Psalm 47:1

Bowing - Moses made haste to bow low toward the earth and worship Exodus 34:8

Praying - In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch. Psalm 5:3

Laying Prostrate - And Jesus went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed... Matthew 26:39

Dancing - Let them praise His name with dancing...Psalm 149:3

The list goes on......I'm not blaming other people for feeling like.. if I lay before God right now someone may see me..I just hate the hesitancy in me that puts that before what I'm being prompted to do by the Spirit. I'm finding myself struggling with the fine line of completely open worship, and not being offensive to someone or making them standoffish. If it 's in the Word and His Word is our example...should that be our practice? I'm just searching.....again, this is something I struggle with internally, not because anyone has said...you need to change...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like maybe your "not doing it because it may offend someone" is only an excuse. If you are concerned, head to the back row and go at it!

In the book I just read, it talked about bringing our worship to church not just worshiping at church. When people bring their worship to church. When this takes place, we will have something to offer that is real and genuine and it doesn't care what others think, expect to encourage them to participate with us.

Tam said...

I love that at Table Rock we can be real. I agree with B, there is wisdom in not being a distraction. I think if an unbeliever came in, like my mom, and saw someone rocking back and forth on the floor crying out to God in worship - it would freak her out. There's a sensitivity. Just because we are "cautious" in a corporate setting doesn't not nullify what is transpiring in our hearts and spirits before the Lord.

Darla said...

I struggle with that from time to time. Only because there is a fine line between causing someone else to stumble...at the same time I think HE calls me out to worship without restriction.

on the other hand...my private worship with HIM is what I think the most precious to HIM. HE has much to say about what we do in prayer and worship in the secret place. So I guess mostly I check my own motivations in worship. But recently I just felt the need to be still in worship (hard for me), and when I did I experienced something I never did before..I felt my spirit dance all around the throne and go to a new level of worship. Not sure what to think about it, except thank you Jesus, HE always opens a door, and always knows my heart!
So have I totally confused you or what! Worship is between you and your King, and HE is the only one to please. Love ya!!! Princess to Princess!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try not to offend here but shouldn't such public displays not be so, well, public. I don't know if it's an English thing or an Atheist thing but I find people caught up in their religious rapture to be unsettling. Any divinity worth the name would surely know your innermost thoughts and feelings and take them into account. Public displays of worship are disconcerting and inappropriate at times especially to those of us who don't share your beliefs. Of course, in the privacy of your own home or at a mutual place of worhip you should be entitled to act out your feelings to your heart's content.

Little Steps Of Faith said...

I go to a seeker-sensitive church, and it takes time for people to really worship.
I think it is a respect thing in how we worship, the same as the clothes we wear. Where is our heart when we display our worship?
People will know who is real, whether or not they have been going to church for years there or an hour.
It all depends with me though; You can ask my church how I worship, those that know me will tell you I don't sit still. I would love to dance around and praise God, but God knows how I feel about Him, so dancing in a vision with Him in my mind is just as good, if not better than on my own.
Sometimes worshipping God in song, can be just standing still with eyes closed, listening to the praises of His people. Breathing it all in.
Again, my worship is no less worshipful then it would be if I were clapping and spinning lol.

" When the music fades and all is swept away, and I simply come, longing just to bring something thats of worth, that will bless your heart. I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself, its not what you have required, you search much deeper within, through the way things appear, you're looking into my heart."- Heart of Worship, Matt Redman:)

Be Blessed:)

Angie

Anonymous said...

B & T, I'm not talking about our church....I feel very free there to worship...What I'm trying to say, that I guess i didn't do very well, is I believe that if we became a little more freed up corporately it would be sweet. I need to get that book B, it's sounds great. I understand Tam, I just think expressing openly what is going on inside is just as important as being real with people as to how we are feeling on a particular day.

Darla, I have those times too when you just sit in awe at who He is and can't speak, I agree He is the only one to please! You are sweetness.

Hey Hov....I'm not talking about walking down the streets of the city and letting loose....I'm talking about bodies of believers and like-minded people. I agree with your last sentence...there is a respect for others factor that adds into it like these guys are saying...my worship at home is much different than corporate worship...

LSOF: I love that song!!!! IT's funny you should say that, I do alot of mind worhsip as well. We dance, and love on eachother....high five..kidding ;) I think to this day the most moving and beautiful worship service I have been to is a mission trip to Mexico. No music, couldn't understand the language, but there was not time constraint and they just made a joyful loud noise that went on til everyone had fully expressed themselves....it was an amazing thing to be part of...love you!

Anonymous said...

Phew, that's a relief! I've never heard the phrase "corporate worship" before. It makes it sound like a business.

Anonymous said...

LOL Hov....no, just meaning the body of Christ.....glad i could give a little relief! ;)

Robert said...

Gods Gal

So this is what a person of faith's blog is like...

Intriguing.....

Ciao,
Robert

Tam said...

Yup Robert! You should meet her in person - one of the most intriguing people I know. She's compelling, deep, passionate about her God, humble, faithful, trustworthy, one of the sweetest friends I have!

Sorry GG - had to dote!

Anonymous said...

Ya Robert, thanks for stopping by, and yes this is what a person of faith is like....I would encourage you to check out some others....

Tam, you are dear to me....Love you so much!!!!